The Community Tennis Coach works in our community afterschool program located at schools and recreational centers throughout Philadelphia, Chester and Camden. Tennis Instructors must bring a high level of competency, energy and motivation to work in a community/afterschool tennis environment. More importantly, candidates must share a passion for young people. This position involves communication with families and program partners and must be able to represent the organization in a professional manner.
- Deliver all elements of the program at your site including tennis instruction, fitness and nutrition education:
- Teach age- and level-appropriate tennis skills; utilize QuickStart for beginners o Run fun, organized and well-executed practices and oversee match play
- Enthusiastically deliver and promote non-tennis elements.
- Co-lead with family nights, back to school night, playdays and field trips.
- Develop appropriate and supportive relationships with all participants and families.
- Actively and productively involve all participants in the program while maintaining a safe atmosphere.
- Serve as liaison between Legacy, program partners, and site contacts
- Promptly address all disciplinary incidents or accidents and complete a written report in a timely manner.
- Transport / Chaperone participants in Legacy vans. Valid driver’s license and access to a car preferred
- Ensure all administrative work is accurately and promptly completed:
- Ensure all participants have completed registration forms and permission slips
- Take daily attendance
- Complete measurement and evaluation duties:
- Manage all aspects of daily operation of your site in a professional and efficient manner.
- Maintain all equipment and supplies; return all equipment issued to you at the completion of the program
- Actively participate in staff orientation, trainings and meetings with Legacy staff and partners
- Assist with marketing and recruitment efforts when needed.
Required Skills and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent; some college preferred
Preferred Teaching Experience
- 2+ years of tennis coaching experience as an NJTL Jr. Instructor or equivalent
- Certified teacher or teacher’s assistant
- Experience working with youth in a recreational setting
- Ability to manage groups efficiently and effectively
- Ability to be a positive role model
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication and customer service skills
- Proven ability to problem solve, work under pressure and manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated reliability, maturity, and responsibility
- Willingness to follow directions and learn
- Impeccable integrity
- Comfort and experience working in diverse communities